May 15, 2014

Learning to Sew + My favorite Free Sewing Patterns for Baby

In 2004 I bought the now-hard-to-find Kenmore Mini Ultra sewing machine in baby blue off ebay and taught myself how to sew. I learned everything from tutorials found on Crafster.org!  It was all we online crafters had back then. And it was a godsend. I took to sewing quite quickly and started making purses and sold them in my old store called One Good Bumblebee (it closed in 2008).

The truth is, though, I have a real love/hate relationship with sewing. I love that I can do it (I'm proud of it!) and the fact that it's a very productive craft, but I am naturally a more intuitive type of artist. You want me to measure something, and it has to be measured exactly? I have to iron things and wind bobbins? No thanks. That's what one part of me wants to say (shout). Yet, another part of me really really wants to be the type of person who patiently takes her time and does everything correctly the first time. No rushing about all crazy.

In 2008 I stumbled upon the gorgeous quilts of Gee's Bend. If you've never seen them, you must! They are incredible pieces of art created by African-American women in the 1940's who lived in a small isolated area of Alabama called Gee's Bend. Sewn out of necessity from whatever fabrics they could find, they are beautifully pattern-less and instinctual, geometric, collage works based on intuition and need rather than beauty and ego-based expression. Yet they are, in my opinion, some of the more beautiful quilts I've ever seen. Denyse Schmidt was also (and still is) a big inspiration for me. I decided I had to start quilting too! I eventually graduated to the ever-popular Brother CS6000i and got started. I chose quilting because I was so inspired by the Gee's Bend quilts but also because I wanted to prove to myself that I could "follow the rules" that is more-or-less required when quilting. There is a lot of math involved. So much geometry and exactness. I wanted to try something that left very little room for mistakes or improvisation, which is very counter-intuitive for me. I wanted to train myself to slow down, take the time to measure, enjoy the tediousness of it and relish in the satisfaction of hard work paying off. So I did. And let me tell you there are few things as satisfying as finishing a full quilt.

The same meticulousness in quilting is very much a part of most sewing projects. But nothing compares to the perfection that must be had when sewing clothes. There is a pattern with very specific measurements and instructions, and the item must actually fit, preferably comfortably, in order to be useful at all. The meticulousness is way beyond that of quilting. And my path to sewing clothing items has only recently just begun. Luckily, it started with baby clothes!

A good friend of ours is about to bust open with a new baby girl. And this means I had to once-and-for-all dive into sewing clothes... baby ones. Because what's better than baby clothes?

First step: Pinterest! Of course. I scoured the Pinternet for free sewing tutorials that also included printable templates. I made a Pinterest board, collected some favorites, and tried some out. Below are the patterns I used and recommend. (P.S. the word "Pinternet" above was a complete accident but I think it may actually be the happiest accident I've ever done. It's so fitting!}

1. Ruffle Trim Bib from See Kate Sew

First up, a bib! I printed up a black cat pattern on some heavy cotton and used the free ruffle trim bib pattern from See Kate Sew. Though, I didn't add the ruffles to mine. But I did embroider in the little eyes. :D This was a super easy and quick project. Free pattern here at See Kate Sew.

2. Easy Baby Summer Dress from See Kate Sew


Another great one from See Kate Sew. This is seriously the easiest pattern / dress you will likely find for free. I used two of our favorite fabrics that we had on hand in our collection for this one. :) Free pattern here at See Kate Sew.

3. Baby Bloomers from See Kate Sew

Basically, I am a fan of See Kate Sew! :) This was actually the first baby clothing item I made. I first printed the fabric using a star-shaped stamp I made and used turquoise screenprinting ink. Then I got to sewing. This one is also incredibly easy! Even for beginners. Free pattern here at See Kate Sew.

4.Baby Sunbonnet from Purl Bee



I am so in love with this little hat! I looked everywhere for the perfect baby bonnet pattern, and this was definitely my favorite one. It was very easy to make as well. For this hat, I used my all-time favorite Echino fabric that I had stashed away for about 6 years, waiting for a very special project. And this hat was the perfect item for this fabric. Free pattern here at Purl Bee.

5. The Perennial Tunic from Sewpony for Sew, Mama, Sew


This pattern by Sewpony is so freaking adorable I just had to make it. I altered it slightly and made it into more of a shirt than a dress. I also used my own template for the pockets. This pattern, which is completely free in PDF form, is the most advanced one I used for the baby.

Before sewing I printed up the flower patterned fabric using stamps I made and then several different colors of screenprinting ink. I used scraps of printed fabric we already had to make the pockets, and I used a sweet light blue oxford cotton for the back.

The sleeves are trimmed in a vintage lace that belonged to Jason's grandmother. This pattern is not for beginners, FYI. Free pattern available here at Sew Mama Sew.

6. Baby Go To Leggings by Go To Sew


Sewing clothing doesn't get much easier than this. It's literally two pieces of fabric, straight stitches, and some elastic. For these little pants, I actually used one of Jason's old gray tees that I had accidentally turned pink. The color turned out a beautiful pinkish light gray and I just had to cut it up for baby pants! Had too! I used a simple stamp shape and dark navy ink to create the fabric pattern.

I created a second pair using a stretchy cotton faux denim fabric. Every baby girl needs some jeggings! Free pattern here at Go To Sew.

7. Cloth Baby Shoes by Stardust Shoes



The epitome of cuteness! I'm not exaggerating when I say that this completely free PDF pattern is so very easy! Deceptively easy. I think it took me maybe 20 minutes per shoe. These were sort of last minute, butI'm so glad I decided to make them. They are so adorable, I squeeeeeeed throughout the sewing process. For these, I used fabrics we already had on hand. I even used a faux suede on the bottom. Baby girl mocassin slippers! Free pattern here at Stardust Shoes.

8. Oxford Burp Cloths by Purl Bee

Okay these aren't clothes but I still made 3 of them. I definitely veered away from the pattern at Purl Bee and instead put in some quilting action with some printed scraps we had. But I did use the same technique and dimensions to complete them as those in the pattern. Super easy! I used a soft flannel on the backs. Free pattern here at Purl Bee.

9. Baby Pinafore Dress by A Tie Dye Diva (not free!)

I lied. I used one pattern that was not free, but I will say it's worth the $6.95 it costs. An excellent and super easy pattern. This was actually the 2nd thing I sewed for the baby. It's also reversible. I veered away from the pattern only by adding the cloud applique. Before sewing I printed the raindrops in a medium grey on heavy cotton. It's lined in my favorite aqua fabric. You can buy this pattern here on Etsy.

10. The Perfect Diaper Cover by Dana Made It

I forgot to take a picture of these, but they turned out so cute! I used the same fabric as the interior in the raindrop dress above. Now she has bloomers to match her dress. :) Free pattern here at Dana Made It.

11. Top Knot Baby Hat by Prudent Baby

Easiest sewing pattern ever! I also forgot to take a picture of this but I made it using the same knit fabric as the baby leggings above at #8. Free pattern here at Prudent Baby.

Check out my growing list of free sewing patterns for baby on Pinterest right here!

1 comment :

  1. I must state that you actually did a very great job in creating these awesome stuffs. I like that Ruffle Trim Bib from See Kate Sew, it's so cute as well as the Baby Sunbonnet from Purl Bee. I think this bib that I mentioned will look better if it has a ruffles on it too. I'm pretty much sure it's cuter than anything else.

    ReplyDelete